MA in Public Policy - Program Objectives
Public Policy MA Program aims to equip students with the theoretical and practical skills required to design, implement, and evaluate public policies. Graduates will have acquired the necessary knowledge on the needs, grounds, and spheres of government intervention in economic and social life in modern states as well as institutional and statistical skills for devising and assessing public policy in specific areas.
Positive impact of public policy on social welfare requires consistency in defining the grounds and goals of policies, and clear explanations of the specific economic and social problems as well as the market deficiencies which the policy has been designed to solve. In this sense, specialization in public policies necessitates an interdisciplinary approach inspired by political science, public management, and economics. Furthermore, a competent program also needs to cover advanced econometric methods that are being used to assess the impact of public policy on social welfare. Sabancı University Public Policy MA Program offers an interdisciplinary approach and provides students with the latest tools of policy assessment. Graduates will have the expertise to work in the public as well as the private sector, the rapidly expanding think-thank and consultancy industries, or to pursue doctoral degrees in public policy or related fields of the social sciences.
MA in Public Policy - Program Outcomes
Common Outcomes of Master’s Programs:
1. Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning.
2. Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
3. Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs.
4. Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
5. Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
6. Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes of Master of Arts Programs in Social Sciences:
7. Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
8. Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
9. Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
Program Specific Outcomes of Master of Arts in Public Policy:
10. Understand the policy-making process in the contemporary world.
11. Contribute to the design of public policy using a multidisciplinary perspective in specific policy areas.
12. Develop ability to evaluate the impact of public policy.
* Click here for detailed Public Policy MA program outcomes.